Hello from the shores and byways of fall, this most beautiful season. I am ready to be cozy. Summer in all its glory has ended and I’m settling into the simple happiness of chilly nights and an extra blanket on the bed, soup making and baking, scarves and coats, and leaves, leaves, leaves underfoot — how they sing to me.
Fall is one of our best seasons in the bay area; it begins hot and windy with leaves billowing down the streets and sidewalks, and then one day the cold rolls in. The skies become crystal clear so from any given peak or ridge you can see a clear shot to the Golden Gate bridge, the hills, or our neighboring cities.
And while the thought of holidays just up ahead is a bit stressful (more like, unbelievable), I’m also eager to be meditating on buttery dough and flaky pie crust, apples drenched in cinnamon and sugar, the smell of nutmeg and allspice, mulled wine and pumpkin bread — oh, sweet delights. These two recipes in particular have turned my head. Look for them in a kitchen in Oakland soon.
But I’m getting ahead of myself. From the brink of November, your October short list:
1. The spicy Mexican Chocolate cream-filled donut at Doughnut Dolly (again, on repeat, forever and ever).
2. Tennis dates during the last-gasp of summer.
3. Hello, persimmons.
4. Becoming the proud owner of a gorgeous screenprinted poster by Jeff Boozer of Crumble Diamonds.
5. Portal, with these guys.
6. Sunset walks at Cesar Chavez Park.
7. New polka-dotted penny loafers.
8. The lookout point at Corona Heights and sharing the view with someone special.
9. Allie Brosh: Menace.
10. A birthday. A birthday. Oh, dear, a birthday.