Winter is a whole other kind of beautiful. Each year I’m able to appreciate more and more about this dormant season, which is not bereft of lovely at all. It’s just quieter, not so showy. The season plies me with the invitation to slow down, to settle, to linger. And when sunshine is not drenching every surface I have to stand still and look—look closely. And I’m seeing just as much to appreciate in the brittle leaf, the hot pink sunsets, the silver light in the woods…the ladybugs.
Your January short list, with love.
1. Night walks at the Berkeley marina
2. Perfecting the old fashioned cocktail at home
3. Toasting corn tortillas right over the gas flame and eating pork tacos in my kitchen, standing up
5. Tissue paper flowers for Amanda’s baby shower
8. My friend Adrienne, making life at work a little sweeter
9. The pizza crust and the banana pudding with salted caramel at Forge
10. The leaves, the light, the wind